Cox’s Meadow, across the road from Sandford Park, is a mixture of wetland and wildland. Since the early years of the millennium it has been part of Cheltenham’s Flood Alleviation Scheme. The town is vulnerable to floods caused by run-offs from thunderstorms high on the nearby hills. This flood plain helps give protection. It has also resulted is creating a habitat that supports a diversity of flora and fauna. Following heavy rain the area turns into a wetland and then once the floodwater has drained back into the River Chelt, it becomes a meadow again. A footpath and cycle path have been provided around the meadow, it is a popular spot in particular for families and dog walkers.
According to Rebsie Fairholm from Cheltonia, the name Cox’s Meadow can be traced back to around 1911 when Sandford Mill hung up its millstones and became a farm. The farmer at that time was a man called William Cox. The land remained in the Cox family until 1957 when farming gave way to housing development, but the name has stuck … not only in local parlance but more formally as the name of a small roundabout on the Old Bath Road.
Visitors to Cox's Meadow are fortunate to have a coffee shop to purchase refreshments from. The modern regenerated building is set on the edge of Cox's Meadow and Old Bath Road with a beautiful outlook through the large glass windows on to the meadow.
The cafe sells a variety of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, toasties, paninis and a selection of traditional and modern pastries. The menu changes seasonally, selling soups and jacket potatoes in the chilly months, with salads, wraps, milkshakes and ice creams being available in the warmer months.
The cafe has both indoor and outdoor seating, allowing customers to enjoy the views across the meadow with the Cotswold hills in the distance.
|Season (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)