Explore life in Cheltenham’s only Victorian home open to all, the birthplace of composer Gustav Holst in 1874.
In Holst Victorian House you can explore the lives of some of the inhabitants, including Holst’s parents, both in Victorian and more modern times. The house is a time capsule of 19th century life with a working Victorian kitchen, Victorian bedroom, scullery and nursery.
Composer Gustav Holst’s life and times can be discovered in his Music Room, complete with the piano on which he composed The Planets.
The museum hosts a range of exhibitions, events and children’s activities throughout the year, including its popular ‘Bake Back in Time’ events using the working coal-fired range.
Whether or not you have visited before, Holst Victorian House look forward to welcoming you to 4 Clarence Road and sharing with you the experience of living in a Victorian home.
Please note the Holst Victorian House has recently changed its name from the Holst Birthplace Museum. Read more about this name change here.
Tickets can be booked in advance (recommended) via the Holst Victorian House website (https://holstvictorianhouse.org.uk). Walk-in visitors will be admitted providing that the museum is not overcrowded.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£7.00 per ticket|
|Child (5 - 15 years)||£2.00 per ticket|
|Family (2 adults and up to 3 children)||£16.00 per ticket|
|Under 5's free||Free|
All tickets are valid for one year.
Carers, Members, Benefactors and Friends of the Museum as well as those with an active Art Fund membership receive free admission..
- Guide Dogs Permitted - Guide and therapy dogs permitted
Children & Infants
- Facilities for children
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- In town/city centre
- No Smoking Attraction
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.
|2021 opening days and times (4 Sept 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Tuesday - Saturday||10:00||- 16:00*|
* Tickets can be booked in advance (recommended) via the Holst Victorian House website. Walk-in visitors will be admitted providing that the museum is not overcrowded.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
The Museum is a ten minute walk from Cheltenham town centre. It is on the main Clarence Road, just opposite the historic Pittville Gates.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Cheltenham Spa. Bus service to town centre or a short taxi ride. Local Stagecoach bus route A+N or D/E. Bioth routes go past the museum.