Founded in 1853, Cheltenham Ladies' College (in long demolished Cambray House) was established to provide “a sound academic education for girls”. Initially, there were just 82 pupils, almost all of whom were day girls. ... As the college grew, its reputation spread both in this country and, eventually, throughout the British Empire. In 1873, College moved to its present location, the site of the original Cheltenham Spa. The buildings were gradually added over time. The beautiful Princess Hall is on the site of another Regency hall which would have been used by visitors to the Royal Well Spa. A plaque in the Ladies College commemorates the site of the well and the Well Walk follows the line of a main corridor.
The most famous Principal, Dorothea Beale, was a prominent suffragist educator who introduced subjects such as maths and science, despite parental opposition. She ‘reigned’ for nearly 50 years until her death in 1906.