Cheltenham Tourism is a business arm of Cheltenham Borough Council. We are committed to providing a good quality service whilst minimising the environmental impact of our activities. A symbol of this commitment is our on going work towards membership of the Green Tourism Business Scheme. The scheme provides accreditation & encouragement for tourism businesses to reduce the environmental impact of their activities. By encouraging sustainable practices the scheme ensures the continued enjoyment of the environment around us for future generations.
Some of the main steps we have taken to reduce our impact are:
• Recycling all paper, packaging, cardboard, glass, plastic bottles, carrier bags, food, batteries and ink cartridges.
• Using recycled brown paper bags in our shop
• Central procurement of goods such as stationary with a new initiative of stationery/office equipment recycling or swapping scheme. The cleaning supplies ordered are ‘eco’ products and sourced from a local Cheltenham based company.
• Minimising noise pollution
• We feature an expanding section of our shop on locally sourced and produced Gloucestershire products.
• We have developed walking, cycling and public transport routes as an alternative to car use to explore the area and we actively promote these services in the TIC.
• We are careful to switch off electrical equipment and lights when not in use
• We use low energy consuming electrical items e.g. water heating systems for hot drinks instead of a kettle, A grade fridge etc.
• We use fair trade tea and coffee in the staff room.
• We train and discuss with our staff at team meetings green issues on a regular basis.
• We can use the pool of bicycles that the Council has for short distance journeys.
• We use Eco friendly cleaning products i.e. washing up liquid and soap and floor cleaner etc.
We aim to be an organisation that is economically, environmentally and socially responsible for our actions within the local community.
Seven things you can do to help save the planet
1. Conserve energy - reducing energy by switching off lights and closing windows if heating is on.
2. Give the car a rest - leave the car behind, if only for one day, use public transport, walk or cycle.
3. Shop local - use local products this helps support the local community
4. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - Try to avoid packaged good and say no to carrier bags. Try and recycle all waste you have.
5. Be water wise - use your water wisely, turn off the tap when brushing teeth and adhere to towel policies whilst on holiday.
6. Respect Nature - Help to look after the landscape and wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using footpaths and cycle-ways responsibly.
7. Support Green Tourism Businesses
Local Businesses with the Green Tourism Award
For information on local businesses with Green Tourism Awards view the Green Tourism Business Scheme website.